Address of Possible Project Location: 85 Lawler Road, 1345 Trout Brook Drive, and 1796-1800 Asylum Ave., West Hartford, CT
The operations of UConn’s Greater Hartford campus are moving to the City of Hartford at a site anchored by the former Hartford Times building. Final agreements to authorize the move were signed on June 3, 2014, and construction will start in late 2015 or early 2016. Classes are expected to begin as early as fall 2017.
Project Description: The Greater Hartford campus is currently situated on 58 acres and includes the Harleigh B. Tracker Library; the Information Technology Center building; the School of Social Work building; the Undergraduate building; and a Facilities Operations building. The campus also includes surface parking for 1,050 vehicles and intramural playing fields. It currently serves approximately 1,400 undergraduate and 1,520 full- and part-time graduate students. In addition, there are approximately 410 faculty and other affiliated or non-affiliated staff utilizing the facilities.
Possible disposition for the current Greater Hartford (i.e., West Hartford) campus might include, but not be limited to, the following or any combination thereof:
- Demolition of campus improvements
- Stabilizing and securing campus buildings and grounds (e.g., mothballing)
- Reuse by an institute of higher education
- Reuse and/or redevelopment by a state agency or municipality
- Redevelopment for commercial and/or residential use
- No action (remains an active UConn campus).
Additional Documentation / Resources
- UConn Office of Environmental Policy CEPA Website with Maps
- Greater Hartford Campus Site Plans
- Greater Hartford Campus Building Inventory List with Square Footage
- Greater Hartford Campus Aerial Photo
- Greater Hartford Campus Wetland Delineation
- State Conservation and Development Drawing
- Aerial Building Photos
- FEMA Maps
- Capitol Region Council of Governments Website
- UConn West Hartford Campus Website