The University has prepared an Environmental Impact Evaluation (EIE) to further evaluate the potential environmental impacts of the Proposed Action, as well as other alternatives, including the No Action alternative. The University of Connecticut (UConn) is proposing to begin construction of the Northwest Science Quad on an approximately 22-acre site located at the northwest corner of campus which includes the existing Lot 9, X-Lot, and L-Lot. The Northwest Science Quad is identified as part of the North Eagleville Science District in the University’s Campus Master Plan and is part of the capital project initiatives in support of Next Generation Connecticut to significantly expand educational opportunities, research, and innovation in the science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) disciplines at UConn. The proposed project consists of the following:
- Science 1 Building – an ~193,600 gross square foot (GSF) STEM Research Center
- Supplemental utility plant (SUP)
- North Woodland Corridor walkway
- Improvements to King Hill Road and realignment of Hillside Road and Alumni Drive
- Stormwater management and other campus-wide utilities to service the Northwest Science Quad
- Extension of utility tunnel from existing Central Utility Plant (CUP) to the proposed SUP
- Surface parking (approximately 180 spaces)
Construction associated with the project will incorporate best practices of sustainability with a minimum goal for Science 1 of LEED Gold certification, with a goal of also being certified for the U.S. Green Building Council Sustainable SITES program.
The EIE is available for public review and comment. It can be found electronically by clicking here, and it also can be obtained at the Mansfield Town Clerk’s Office, Audrey P Beck Municipal Building, 4 South Eagleville Road, Mansfield, CT and Mansfield Public Library, 54 Warrenville Road, Mansfield, CT.
A public hearing on this project will be held on January 30, 2019 at 7:00 p.m. at the Dodd Center’s Konover Auditorium, 405 Babbidge Road, Unit 1205, Storrs, CT. The closest public parking is in the South Garage, 2366 Jim Calhoun Way, Storrs, CT. Adjacent to the UConn Bookstore. Doors will be open at 6:30 p.m. to allow review of informational materials. Please note that this event will be available via livestream:
To Watch Live:
- Go to http://ait.uconn.edu/live-streaming/.
- Go to the event date on the calendar (January 30, 2019).
- Look for the event by start time and name: 6:50 pm Stream04 – NW Science Quad Proj – Konover.
- In the description of the calendar event you will find info on which Live Stream will host the event. Choose the link based on the description in the calendar information.
To Watch Later:
- After your event is over, we will provide a link to the recorded event here.
Written comments should be sent to: Sean Vasington, UConn – Planning, Design, and Construction, 31 LeDoyt Road, U-3038; Storrs, CT 06269; email: email@example.com.
The deadline for comments is through February 8, 2019.